The leaves and temps are falling and all I want to do is curl up with a bowl of creamy Cheesy Broccoli No Cheese Soup! There is just something about soup that makes me feel good, and this one is a bonus because it’s healthy.
I’m sure you’re already wondering how broccoli cheese soup can be healthy. Maybe you’ve already figured out it’s dairy free from the name as it’s called No Cheese. Probably wondering what gives it the cheese flavor and if it really tastes like cheese. Or how it looks so thick and creamy.
It’s made with broccoli, obviously. I use extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil, no butter. No heavy cream but instead dairy free milk, we use almond milk or Ripple plant-based protein milk. The cheese flavor comes from nutritional yeast, which has many health benefits and yes it tastes cheesy. It’s packed with B vitamins, contains protein and fiber, and is said to help with energy and immunity. If the three biggest cheese lovers in the family like it, and 2 come back for seconds (not G because he’s a toddler but he likes it) I think it passes the test. The secret to the thick creamy texture is a secret ingredient, sweet potatoes! Also helps give it a cheesy orange color. A and my husband are not a big fans of sweet potatoes lately like the rest of us but they are the two cheese lovers that like this soup as my as I do. Then just onion, garlic, vegetable broth, salt, and pepper.
All the ingredients are pretty basic with the exception of nutritional yeast if it’s new to you. It’s available at most grocery stores and even Target. There are lots of ways to enjoy it beyond this soup, another simple way is with a little salt sprinkled on popcorn.
Makes a really quick and easy dinner, perfect for weeknights, that will leave you satisfied but not feeling heavy.
It’s especially delicious with a slice of fresh, or toasted, bread. Lately we’ve been dipping homemade spelt sourdough (same recipe as my Social Distancing Spelt Sourdough, minus garlic) in it but delicious on it’s own without the bread too.
Are you ready for soup season? What is your favorite soup?
Looking for more recipe inspiration, check out more Meatless Monday recipes and we look forward to fellow bloggers joining Deborah and I for our weekly link up.
|Prep Time||25 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 3 TBSP avocado or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced or grated
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, or 3 small, peeled and diced (1" or smaller), 6oz
- 12 oz broccoli florets, cut in large chunks (1 large head)
- 1 c plain dairy free milk (Ripple Original Plant-Based Milk for added protein)
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1/3 c nutritional yeast
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil over medium high heat. Add onions, garlic, and sauté until onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add in sweet potatoes and cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender.
- Add in broccoli and vegetable broth, reduce and simmer until bubbly and broccoli is bright green, about 5 minutes.
- Scoop out most of the broccoli pieces and set aside.
- Blend the soup, sans broccoli, in a Vitamix or high-speed blender until it's smooth and creamy. You may need to do this in 2 smaller batches being careful as the soup will be hot.
- Add in broccoli and pulse a just few times just to incorporate.
- Return soup to they pot; stir in milk and nutritional yeast.
- Season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
Like it, PIN it for later!
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Broccoli is my fave veggie! I am so excited for soup season this will be happening soon!
It’s a favorite in our house too!