Happy Monday! I’m not sure why but I get really excited when I have a delicious salad like this Sweet and Spicy Roasted Corn Summer Salad! I think it’s not only because it’s Meatless Monday but also because after summer weekends with all the delicious eats and drinks a reset and healthy salad is just what I crave and need. During the summer there are so many parties and get togethers, camping, trips, and we fully enjoy them. That means a few summer cocktails on the deck, all the fruit (like pounds of strawberries, watermelons yes more than one, and just crazy amount of fruit get consumed even on the weekends) s’mores, ice cream, grilling, pizza, ect. That said my watch was reading 586% on Saturday and over 400% yesterday, even with a night in the ER Friday and only a few hours of sleep and sleeping until early afternoon on Saturday. Even without weekends like that we are so active in the summer I have no guilt with the extra indulging. Plus I’m all about enjoying life and that happy healthy balance.
Not only am I craving this Sweet and Spicy Roasted Corn Summer Salad today but I enjoyed it a couple times last week, in the car on the way to soccer and at the soccer field. Life is so crazy even during the week with soccer season but that’s when I really try to pack in all the veggies and healthy food. I know I’ll be making another batch of this salad this week. I even tried to grill up some extra corn last night when we took an hour out of working to grill for Father’s Day so I’d have “extra” but that didn’t go as planned so I’ll have to pick some up today to grill. If you’re looking for an excuse to make this salad though just grill up extra corn. Or have a few extra avocados that need to be used up, not that you need an excuse to make this salad but I’m searching for justification sometimes so it doesn’t seem like I’m obsessed with it. Haha! I think I might go past that crazy point this week as I thought about putting it in a tortilla shell and justifying it for Taco Tuesday tomorrow.
Perfect for a summer picnic, side dish at a part, relaxing dinner as you can make it ahead, or even lunch. There is so much flavor and nutrition there’s a whole lot to love about it. Once again if you find someone who tells you salads are blah or boring just laugh and have them call me because clearly they’ve been eating the wrong salads!
It is Meatless Monday and if you aren’t inspired by my Sweet and Spicy Roasted Corn Summer Salad I hope you’re inspired by one of the recipes linked up below. If you have one to share my co-host Deborah and I would love to have you link up with us and join in the fun!
main dish servings
- 3 ears of corn on the cob roasted/grilled
- 1 red bell pepper or 4 small red sweet peppers
- 10 oz coleslaw mix used Trader Joe's Cruciferous Crunch Blend with kale, cabbage, and Brussels sprouts
- 1/4 red onion
- 1 large mango
- 1-2 jalapenos
- 8 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 TBSP chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime
- 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of cumin
- pinch of chili powder
- pinch largeof sea salts
- pinch of chili powder
- pinch largeof sea salts
Cilantro Avocado Dressing
- Start by making the dressing. In a small food processor combined avocado, fresh cilantro, and apple cider vinegar. Grate in half of the lime, cut lime and squeeze juice into the mixture, and grate in garlic clove. Blend until smooth. Add spices and olive oil, blend smooth. Poor into a glass container and store in the refrigerator while making the salad.
- Cut red pepper in half and remove the seeds, thinly slice peppers lengthwise. Place into a medium to large bowl.
- Remove roasted corn from the cob using a sharp knife, if you get chunks that's fine and encouraged, and add to the pepper.
- Thinly slice red onion and add to the corn mixture.
- Cut jalapeno into rings and add to the corn and peppers or in a separate bowl if you want to just add them to part of the salad (great idea for kids or those who don't like them).
- Peel mango with a sharp knife and cut two sides along the pit, then the remaining two sides. Cut mango into small chunks. Add to the bowl with the corn and peppers.
- Pour coleslaw mix into a large bowl. Add about 1/4-1/3 cup of the dressing to the coleslaw and toss to coat. Add in corn, peppers, onions, and mango and gently toss to mix. Plate and top with fresh cilantro and serve with additional dressing. When taking to go I add a big spoonful of the dressing to the top of the salad. I do the same at home or drizzle it. Enjoy!
Like it? Pin it for later!
Julie @ Running in a Skirt
Oh Sarah! This is right up my alley!! How delicious. I love summer cooking. 🙂
Julie @ Running in a Skirt recently posted…Back From Switzerland!
Deborah @Confessions of a mother runner
Ooh love grilled corn and the mangoes and jalapeño are right up my alley. Hope you have a less eventful week
Deborah @Confessions of a mother runner recently posted…Crispy Chick Pea & Farro Power Bowl with Tahini Dressing
Love sweet and spicy during the summer! This looks delicious!
Annmarie recently posted…Dairy Free Blackberry Blackstrap Molasses Milk
Sonali- The Foodie Physician
There is so much deliciousness packed into this beautiful salad! And that dressing sounds delish!
Sonali- The Foodie Physician recently posted…Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Marcona Almond Pesto
this looks great! I just picked up corn at the farmers market yesterday… now I know what I’m doing with it!
vicki recently posted…Grilled Summer Squash Tacos
I think I need this beyond meatless Monday! I’m thinking it will be a perfect addition to our 4th of July BBQ this year!
Lorie Yarro recently posted…Peanut Mango Stir-Fry
This salad is a light and healthy dinner that’s perfect for Meatless Monday! Such a great way to start off the week!
Taylor Kiser recently posted…Tahini Grilled Avocado, Cauliflower and Sweet Potato Power Bowl
I swear nothing beats corn grilled on the cob! We never did that as a kid, but I found it with my husband and oh man it’s such a fantastic way to add flavor to a dish
amanda -runtothefinish recently posted…Biggest Runner Pet Peeves: Read It. Remember It. Stop Doing It.
Oh darn. Another excuse for me to fire up the grill and eat outside! 😉 This has summer written all over it!
Jordan recently posted…Eggplant Veggie Burgers
Janelle @ Run With No Regrets
I haven’t had a spicy salad in quite some time….this look so good!
Janelle @ Run With No Regrets recently posted…Goals for the Rock ‘N Roll Seattle Half Marathon
Fresh corn salads are a must in the summer. Love the spicy jalapeño kick too!
This sounds perfect for summer! Great way to use all those fresh veggies! 🙂
Your recipes are never boring Sarah. This salad has so many amazing elements.
Alisa Fleming recently posted…New Ripple Milk Kids: Top Allergen-Free Protein, Calcium & More in 3 On-The-Go Flavors
Kristina @ Love & Zest
Now I am craving this! You are so right thought it would make a great picnic, side dish, or lunch option!!
I super love this salad. It is the perfect combination of everything. Spicy and sweet with the right texture made it a heavenly side dish. Thank you for this wonderful idea.