Happy Monday! This week our schedule is jamming to a different beat so why not mix things up and post a pizza recipe for Meatless Monday. Better yet why not this Golden Beet pizza because it tastes so good it’ golden on a whole different level. No pizza tonight, as much as the girls would love that, because this week is all about soccer in our house with state qualifier games for one and the USA Cup for the other. We’ll be dreaming of pizza all week and enjoying it on Friday in more ways than one! Yep stay tuned I might just have another pizza recipe posting this week but if not for sure next week.
I’m all about a happy healthy balance, which you probably already know, and this week will be full of quick eats, snacks, smoothies, and probably lots of toasts and sandwiches. Oh and coffee! We are already planning ahead with the sourdough schedule to make sure we have it all week long. Not only do the girls have soccer all week and soccer activities I’m also going to get in 5-6 barre classes as I’m still trying to complete the 15 in 30 challenge in only 18 days since we were out of town and will be leaving again before the end of the month. I got 6 classes in the last week and this week I’ve got 5:30am classes planned for 4 days and a double day with an Intensive hour and a half class tomorrow. So come the weekend we will want all the pizza and I’m going to need some relaxing. Depending on how the games shake out I might try to get a class in on Saturday if there is time and my body is up to it.
No guilt here when we have homemade pizza and we enjoy it to the fullest. If one was to need justification this one has beets, can’t go wrong with a good veggie pizza and there isn’t a lot of heavy cheese either. What there is though is the chewy puffy homemade Neapolitan crust that I’ll be dipping in olive oil and maybe even balsamic! Top that delicious crust with sautéed onions, lots of roasted golden beets, a little fresh mozzarella (Miyoko’s Fresh VeganMozz), and fresh ground sea salt and pepper. Oh so good! Of course wine is optional but I like to enjoy my pizza with a glass.
For some reason my Whole Foods doesn’t always carry golden beets so I will have to ask them for them sometimes and it usually takes a day or two at most to get in. I went to grab golden beets to take up for the 4th of July week as my parents wanted to do homemade pizzas with my husband’s “famous” crust. I was all in since my dad has a pretty sweet grill that gets super hot and makes great pizza, goals for our next grill since it’s dying. My Whole Foods was OUT! I was down to the wire and gave up on making the pizza and planned to just make a Margherita Pizza. I could have made it with regular beets but I wasn’t feeling it. I ran in to Trader Joe’s to pick up my Teeny Tiny Avocados and guess what? They had packaged already roasted cold GOLDEN BEETS!!! Yes just like Love Beets or other packaged cold already roasted beets but GOLDEN! It was a sign! Trust me when I say that I enjoyed every bite of this pizza combo.
If pizza isn’t your thing I hope you are inspired by one of the Meatless Monday recipes linked up below. My co-host Deborah and I are excited to see what’s cookin’ (or not) in or outside of your kitchen!
- 1 10-12″ pizza crust (homemade Neapolitan Pizza Crust)
- 1 medium to large Vidalia onion
- 1-2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 8-10 oz roasted golden beets, chopped (you can roast your own beets, remove skins and chop or Trader Joe's now has chilled already roasted golden beets)
- 3-4 oz fresh mozzarella cheese * Miyoko’s Fresh VeganMozz
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- extra virgin olive oil and or balsamic vinegar for drizzling and dipping crust, optiona
- If making our Neapolitan Pizza Crust if using, you will have to make the dough 3 hours, 4 hours is best, ahead of time. It doesn’t take long to make you just have to let it rest and rise.
- Heat grill or oven, with pizza stone placed inside, to 550F if using my husband’s crust recipe otherwise heat per your pizza crust directions.
- Peel the onion, slice the onion in half and thinly slice each onion half.
- Toss or roll your pizza dough and place on a piece of parchment paper on a non rimmed baking sheet.
- In a skillet, I like to use a cast iron one, drizzle oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Once the oil is hot add in your onions and saute them until golden brown, usually around 7-10 mins.
- Add sautéed onions to the pizza crust, top the onions with the chopped beets, and sprinkle with fresh (shredded or little chunks) mozzarella cheese.
- Season with fresh ground sea salt and pepper.
- Place pizza, keeping it on the parchment as it will easily slide on and off your pizza stone, onto the pizza stone. Check at 6 minutes, the crust should start to be golden brown and slightly blackened on the outer edges like a traditional Neapolitan pizza. It can take up to 8-10 minutes depending on the temperature of your grill/oven. If using your own crust bake per your crusts instructions.
- Remove pizza, sliding a baking sheet under the parchment paper.
- Let pizza cool a minute or two before slicing. Enjoy!
Like it? Pin it for later!
AZ@…And a Dash of Cinnamon
You are so good with these pizzas!
AZ@…And a Dash of Cinnamon recently posted…Blackberry Peach Protein Oatmeal [Clean, Vegan, GF) & Zion National Park Part 2
Deborah @ Confessions of a mother runner
I have not tried beets on pizza yet but yum I sure am going to! Happy meatless Monday
Deborah @ Confessions of a mother runner recently posted…Everything Bagel Spiced Polenta Fries
I think I just gave you a reason to make pizza! 😉
Julie @ Running in a Skirt
How do I not have golden beets in my life!! This sounds so good!
Next time you’re at Trader Joe’s, or the grocery store you’ll have to pick up some!
I love golden beets… never thought to add them to pizza!
vicki recently posted…Baked Pasta Casserole With Crumbled Tempeh
Can’t go wrong with beets, and I think you have a new way to try (enjoy) them! 😉
I always love finding new and interesting ways to enjoy beets, your pizza looks awesome!
Alison’s Allspice recently posted…Chipotle Cauliflower Hummus Tacos with Cumin Slaw
I LOVE beets and I’m right there with you!
You confused me for a minute there. I was like, wait, is it Friday? 🙂 Love the beet angle. Golden beets are definitely underloved.
Oh I wish it was Friday! Agreed love all beets.
I had no idea they told them prepackaged!!! Golden beets are so delicious but a lot of work to prepare yourself!
Laura recently posted…Frozen Peanut Butter Chocolate Covered Bananas
I just found out and had to share! I always roast beets in large batches.
Sonali- The Foodie Physician
Pizza with caramelized onions, golden beets, and fresh mozzarella…WOW! That sounds fabulous! I can’t wait to see what your next pizza recipe will be!
Sonali- The Foodie Physician recently posted…Grilled Spiced Chicken with Mango Avocado Salsa
It’s so good. I wish I could have a big pizza party and share!
This pizza is calling my name! Looks so delicious! I’m ready to face-plant for sure!
Taylor Kiser recently posted…Crispy No Bake Almond Joy Bars
I heard it screaming too! 😉 I think you’d love it.
This is such a fun new and healthy take on pizza! Sounds like we will be having this for Friday pizza night soon!
Lorie Yarro recently posted…Baked Pasta with Spinach + Mushrooms
Hey it doesn’t have to be Friday, just saying! 😉 I know the feeling though, is it Friday yet?
Ashley | Fit Mitten Kitchen
I love golden beets! Never would have thought to put them on a pizza. This sounds awesome.
Can’t go wrong comparing beets and pizza. I’m always looking for new ways to enjoy beets. 😉
You get me. You just so totally GET me 😉
Haha! Wish I could share a slice with you!
I literally started having hunger pangs halfway through the post. It looks amazing and I bet it also tastes delicious too. It is the perfect dish to cook up in this season. I can’t wait to try it . Looking forward to reading more delectable recipes in the upcoming posts.